This post is also available in: Español (Spanish)
Alternative medicine is becoming more than a passing trend or what some people to be a fad. It is becoming very popular with for people that cannot afford medical care and/or people that medical care did not work for. There are many types of alternative medicine. They include: massage therapy, physical therapy, herbal remedies, acupuncture, homeopathic medicine, and aromatherapy, just to name a few. Alternative medical care also focuses on caring for patients without the use of medications that may or may not have harmful side effects and be addictive. Also, some traditional medical treatments can cause more physical harm versus how much they cure a disease or illness. While traditional medical care focuses just on the physical aspect of health, alternative medicine covers the emotional, physical, and spiritual aspects of health. Combined with traditional medical care, alternative medicine, there are many benefits that come with using alternative medicine.
Benefits of Alternative Medicine
Alternative medicine has a lot of benefits. Some of them include:
- Holistic Care- Alternative medicine is more all-inclusive than traditional medical care. It covers the emotional, physical,and spiritual aspects of treatment. The treatment from an alternative medical doctor may find something that a traditional doctor did not find.
- Highly Effective- Alternative medicine is highly effective and, in time, they may be considered as conventional as traditional medical care over time. It is recommended that people remain cautious while using alternative medicine, but it is never known when someone may be the first person to get a medical treatment that was previously unknown to mankind.
- Lowering The Use of Prescription Drugs- A lot of people use too many prescription drugs. Alternative medicine uses other types of treatments instead of prescription medication. Instead, they use exercise, changes to diets, and yoga, to wean people off medicines, like antidepressants.
Alternative Medicine Treatment Options
Alternative medicine has many different treatment options. A lot of them are used at places like an alternative medical center. Some of them include:
- Acupuncture- For more than five thousand years, Acupuncture has diagnosed, treated, and prevented illnesses. It does a great job of making immune systems stronger. Along with diagnosing illnesses, controls pain, and increases both the ability to function and the quality of people’s lives. It has been known to treat headaches (including migraine), neuralgia, the side effects of a stroke, all over pain and weakness in the body, sciatica, arthritis, constipation, gynecological problems, depression, Bell’s Palsy, anxiety, insomnia, and a lot more.
- Herbology- Traditional herbal remedies are safe and the goal of them is to fix the root cause of a medical issue and not the superficial symptoms of human illness.
- Physical Therapy- Physical therapy fixes problems with current body structures, makes weak muscles stronger, and improves overall general health. It works even better with acupuncture and together the two of them work well together to heal or treat whiplash, carpal tunnel syndrome (wrist pain), spinal disk issues, muscle sprains, strains and tears, knee and hip replacements, myofascial pain syndrome, vertigo, and a lot of other physical problems.
- Therapeutic Massage- Touch is the oldest type of healing that is known to mankind. Massage can lower stress levels and it helps with these physical problems: muscle stiffness and pain, reduces ongoing pain, strengthens the immune system, improves the function of the nervous system, helps people sleep better at night, and lowers anxiety levels.
The next type of medical treatment is an extension of alternative medicine.
The Body Can Heal Itself
Naturopathic medicine is based on the belief that the body can heal itself naturally. The goal of this kind of medical care is to make people’s health better, prevent disease, and treat illness with incorporating the use of eating organic food and exercise. This practice also believes in lifestyle and nutritional counseling. Naturopathic doctors also have to go to four years of medical school like regular doctors, but they also study alternative treatment methods like: herbal medicine, acupuncture, and bodywork. Unlike traditional medical doctors, they avoid prescribing medications and performing surgeries. It also encourages all people to have a balanced and healthy lifestyle with the use of alternative medicines such as: ayurveda, homeopathy, and herbal treatments.
Alternative medicine has come a long way in the treatment of emotional and physical problems. If it keeps growing and developing as it has, it may become the true alternative to many people over traditional medical care.